It’s very frustrating when your phone dies in the middle of a call, or your laptop turns off while giving a presentation. The most common reason can be your battery is not charged, or it’s dead.
The situation will be worsened if you don’t get a charging socket.
Hope no one has to be in this worst situation. But have you ever thought about rechargeable batteries used in these portable devices?
What are the functioning, pros, and cons of this tiny thing powering our day to day devices?
So let’s begin from the starting Nickel- Cadmium (NiCad) are the most common and popular batteries used in all portable electronic device.
Being cheap and available in varied sizes make it the perfect battery technology for your portable device.
What exactly are NiCad Batteries?
‘NiCad’ is an abbreviation used for the chemical composition of Nickel-Cadmium batteries, which are auxiliary (battery-powered) batteries.
Nickel-Cadmium batteries contain chemical Nickel (Ni) and Cadmium (Cd), in different structures and composition.
Usually, the positive anode is made of Nickel hydroxide (Ni (OH) 2), and the negative cathode is formed out of Cadmium hydroxide (Cd (OH) 2), with the electrolyte itself being Potassium hydroxide (KOH).
Ultimate Guide to Recondition ANY Battery .
Reasons why NiCad batteries die
They don’t precisely die; the sulfur crystal causes the problem.
The crystals begin growing because of various reasons:
- When the cell is overcharged
- when the battery is not charged for a long time
- Memory effect: tend to lose charge fast than when it was new
- when exposed to high-temperature areas
Methods to revive a dead NiCad battery
After the crystal has started growing inside the cell, it certainly touches both the ends of the cell terminals. This shorts out the cell and prevents it from charging again
Therefore destroying the sulfur crystal is not much of a task. It can quickly be done by putting a strong surge current through the cell. This vaporizes the crystal, and the battery works perfectly fine.
You require a DC power supply. Car batteries can be used to restore dead NiCad batteries however this isn’t safe and should try it at home. Keep in mind that cadmium is poisonous and when the batteries are subjected to high power the danger of explosion is high.
The most common approach to repair Nicad batteries is to use a capacitor as you can release high voltage from them.
The most widely recognized capacitor used is from a dispensable camera.
Charge the capacitor to a voltage which is around 2-4 times the voltage of the cell.
Then connect the battery to the capacitor with the similar polarities.
Best From Blog: Battery Reconditioning Ultimate Guide.
Steps to maximize the use of NiCad batteries
- Buy a compatible charger. NiCad batteries should not be charged with NiMH charger, except if the charger is mainly made for the both. There are two types of chargers one cheap and the other one is expensive. Ensure to buy the charger that has good customer reviews and build quality. Micro-controller chip charger.
- When charging the batteries discharge it entirely before reviving them. This is particularly useful to NiCad batteries. Be careful not to discharge below 1v for NiCad and NiMH. Discharging to total zero will make your battery pointless. It’s ideal to have a charger with a conditioner that will cycle the battery for you.
- Make sure to store your batteries appropriately. Try not to leave your batteries in a hot climate, or in damp conditions. The best storage conditions are a cool, dry place. The refrigerator will work if you stick a packet of silica gel with your batteries in a sealed sack to keep them dry. It is a smart choice to charge your NiCad or NiMH batteries entirely before using it.
- Almost all portable devices use NiCad batteries. To increase the battery life, keep in mind to turn your phone off once in a while before it is dead.
NiCad batteries act as a perfect partner for your portable devices.
So there is no need to avoid rechargeable batteries and will save a significant amount of money and time.
Therefore if you are worried about memory effect then don’t be as it is easily manageable.